From Hot Off the Griddle #52, June 1996. Contributed by Chris Dye
Make this ahead of time and take it with you on camping trips, or give it as a gift.
Cooking instructions for the mix are elsewhere in our collection.
- 2 cups each dried white, red and dark red kidney, black, yellow-eyed and Romano beans.
- 1 1/2 cups millet or long grain rice
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 tbsp each dried basil and parsley
- 1 tbsp each ground thyme, marjoram and sage
- 1 tbsp ground celery seed
- 1 tbsp dehydrated granulated garlic
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp crushed red chili pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups dehydrated chopped onions
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 6 bay leaves
- In large bowl, thoroughly mix white, red and dark red kidney, black, yellow-eyed and Romano beans.
- Measure 2 cups into each of six plastic storage bags.
- Add 1/4 cup millet to each bag.
- In small processor or with mortar & pestle, combine chili powder, basil, parsley, thyme, marjoram, sage, celery seed, garlic, black and red pepper.
- Process or grind until well blended.
- Divide evenly among 6 small plastic bags.
- To each one, add 1/4 cup each tomatoes and onions, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp sugar and 1 bay leaf, crumbled.
- Close and seal bags.
Makes 6 bags, each enough for 8 servings.