Selection from "Star Palate, Celebrity Cookbook for a Cure."
- 2 tsp finely minced garlic
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 Tbsp crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 4 squares focaccia bread, sliced open
- 4 large heirloom tomatoes, a mixture or variety and colours
- 1 1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 1/2 cup baby arugula leaves, washed and spun dry
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat broiler or grill.
- In small bowl, mash garlic, mayonnaise and Gorgonzola until well combined. Set aside.
- Under broiler or on hot grill, toast cut side of acacia until lightly golden.
- Meanwhile, slice tomatoes about 1/2 inch thick.
- In medium bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, and basil and then toss in arugula.
- Spread top layer of focaccia with Gorgonzola aioli. Place tomato slices on bottom pieces of focaccia, dividing them evenly among the sandwiches. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper, then top with dressed arugula. Close sandwiches and serve immediately.
Also delicious with slices of fresh mozzarella cheese and crisp pancetta for the ultimate Italian BLT.
Yields 4 sandwiches.